Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Requirements

Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control

Application Information
All developments require some type of Erosion and Sediment Control permit. Read below to determine which permit applies to your project and how to obtain it.

  Projects Disturbing 1 acre or More in RVSS' MS4 Boundary

  • Must obtain an RVSS Construction and a 1200-CN Permit when disturbing 1 to 5 acres. Sample permit
  • Must obtain a 1200-C Permit when disturbing 5 acres of more.  Individuals creating Erosion and Sediment Control Plans should review the permit, in particular section 4, for lists of required elements. 
  • RVSS Stormwater Amendments to Code (.pdf) Full RVSS Code--see the RVSS Code page
  • Application Materials- Follow RVSS' submission requirements to supply the items listed below:
    • Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS)
    • Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
    • Fees
      • Fees will be invoiced by RVSS once the stormwater management and erosion control plans are near approval. Fees are payable by check or credit card (MC, Visa, Discover) to RVSS. Credit card payments can only be made in the office.
      • Projects disturbing 5 acres or more: Permit Application fee and 1st year annual fee is $2,480.
      • Projects disturbing 1 to 4.99acres: Permit Application and 1st year annual fee is $1,500.
      • Projects disturbing >5 acres renew through DEQ at their current rates.
      • Projects disturbing 1 to 4.99acres will be invoiced by RVSS for the annual permit renewal fee of $750. 
  • Application materials and guidance can be found on DEQ’s website.

  Projects Disturbing Less than 1 Acre in RVSS' MS4 Boundary

  • Small Lot permits are required when disturbing less than one acre.
  • Small lot permits are obtained from the city in which the work will occur at the time the building permit is obtained.
  • There is no fee for this permit.
  • A standard Erosion and Sediment Control Plan site detail for small lots is available.

ACWA Construction Site Stormwater Guide an illustrated guide to best management practices

Certification for Erosion and Sediment Control Inspectors

  • In order to obtain an RVSS or 1200C permit, you must have a certified Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector listed on your application. Certification is acquired through attendance and passage of an erosion and sediment control inspector class.
  • RVSS offers Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Inspector Certification classes two times each year, in late fall and in May. Dates are generally set one month ahead of time. Complete this form to be put on a notification list.

RVSS maintains a list of individuals currently certified through our class only.

​       RVSS Certified Erosion and Sediment Control Inspectors (by last name)
RVSS Certified Erosion and Sediment Control Inspectors (by organization)

Inspection of Erosion and Sediment Control BMPs

  • A pre-construction meeting with an RVSS inspector must be held on site to verify proper installation of best management practices prior to starting construction. Contact RVSS to schedule a pre-construction meeting.
  • The designated Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector should complete inspection forms in compliance with the schedule dictated in their permit.
  • Acceptable Inspection forms:
    • 1200-C Permitted Sites: for sites disturbing >5 acres in RVSS' MS4, or sites disturbing >1 acre outside RVSS' MS4
    • 1200-CN Permitted Sites: for sites disturbing between 1 and 5 acres in RVSS' area
    • You can also create your own form as long as it includes all the required information outlined in the permit.
  • The ACWA Construction Site Stormwater Guide includes bulleted lists of what to look for during a maintenance inspection.
  • Action Plans must be submitted to RVSS whenever a change is made to the approved EPSC plan. You may use the standard form from RVSS, create your own, or submit revised plans.

Erosion and Sediment Control Best Management Practices

  • RVSS worked with the Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies to create a field guide of best management practices for use by contractors. Printed copies can be requested from RVSS.
  • RVSS has put together a vendor list for erosion and sediment control products as a convenience to contractors.

Name Change and Notice of Termination

  • Erosion and sediment control permits are legal documents, thus if the entity responsible for the project changes, a Name Change form must be submitted to RVSS.
  • When the project is complete, contact RVSS to schedule a final site inspection and then submit the Notice of Termination to RVSS.
  • Name Change and Notice of Termination Forms are available on DEQ’s website.


Back to Top