Stormwater Development Guidelines

Post-Construction Stormwater Runoff

Projects that will develop or redevelop more than 2,500 square feet of impervious surfaces (buildings, roads, parking lots, etc.) on a site must manage stormwater runoff in compliance with the Rogue Valley Stormwater Quality Design Manual found below.

Rogue Valley Stormwater Quality Design Manual (8/2008)
(Manual Amended most recently April 2018)

Technical Memorandum on Manufactured Structures Effective 1/1/2015 revised 2-17-16

Standard Details and Notes
Water Quality Conveyance Swale (pdf)
Water Quality Conveyance Swale (dwg)

Appendix A - Plants List
    **New** Plant Materials Sources List
Appendix B - Design Guidelines for Approved Treatment Methods
Appendix C - Santa Barbara Urban Hydrograph Spreadsheet Example
Appendix D - NRCS Method: Time of Concentration Calculation and Table of Runoff Curve Numbers
Appendix E - RVSS Stormwater Credits
Appendix F - Underground Injection Control (UIC) Regulations
Appendix G - Portland Technology Assessment Protocol
                         SWAT Pre-Approved Proprietary SW Treatment Technologies 
Appendix H - RVCOG Summary of TMDL Monitoring
Appendix I -  Example Operation and Maintenance Plan Documents
Appendix J - Intergovernmental Agreements for Stormwater Quality Management
Appendix K - RVSS Stormwater Operation and Maintenance Manual Template
                    O&M Manual Template (word)
                    O&M Manual Template (pdf)
                    RVSS Declaration of Covenants (formerly the SW O&M Agreement)
Appendix L - Stormwater Quality Structure Easement (Updated 4/19/12)

Santa Barbara Urban Hydrograph example spreadsheet for download (updated 9/29/17)
**Storage volumes previously calculated in this spreadsheet may not be used for detention design, refer to section 3.3 of the Rogue Valley Stormwater Design Manual.**

ACWA Construction Site Stormwater Guide an illustrated guide to best management practices


Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control

All developments require some type of Erosion and Sediment Control permit. Read below to determine which permit applies to your project and how to obtain it.

RVSS Construction and 1200C Permits for RVSS Phase II Area

  • RVSS Construction Permit is required when disturbing 1 to 5 acres. Sample permit
  • 1200C Permit is required when disturbing 5 acres of more. Sample permit
  • For both permits submit the following to RVSS:
    • Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS)
    • Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
    • Fee
      • Permit Application fee and 1st year annual fee is $1,500 (effective 3/21/2014) payable by check or credit card (MC, Visa, Discover) to RVSS.
      • The annual permit renewal fee is $750 paid to RVSS.
      • 1200-C permits for projects disturbing >5 acres renew through DEQ at their current rates.
  • Application materials and guidance can be found on DEQ’s website.
  • Small Lot permits are required when disturbing less than one acre. Small lot permits are obtained from the city in which the work will occur.
  • A standard Erosion and Sediment Control Plan site detail for small lots is available.
  • RVSS Stormwater Amendments to Code (.pdf) Full RVSS Code--see the RVSS Code page

Certified Erosion and Sediment Control Inspectors

Erosion and Sediment Control Best Management Practices

  • RVSS worked with the Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies to create a field guide of best management practices for use by contractors. Printed copies can be requested from RVSS.
  • RVSS  has put together a vendor list for erosion and sediment control products as a convenience to contractors.


  • A pre-construction meeting with an RVSS inspector must be held on site to verify proper installation of best management practices prior to starting construction. Contact RVSS to schedule a pre-construction meeting.
  • The designated Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector should complete inspection forms in compliance with the schedule dictated in their permit.
  • Acceptable Inspection forms:
  • Action Plans must be submitted to RVSS whenever a change is made to the approved EPSC plan. You may use the standard form from RVSS, create your own, or submit revised plans.

Name Change and Notice of Termination

  • Erosion and sediment control permits are legal documents, thus if the entity responsible for the project changes, a Name Change form must be submitted to RVSS.
  • When the project is complete, contact RVSS to schedule a final site inspection and then submit the Notice of Termination to RVSS.
  • Name Change and Notice of Termination Forms are available on DEQ’s website.


Back to Top